Thursday, January 7, 2016

Heavy

This week’s newsletter is a bit heavier. A really close family friend is battling cancer for the third time and it’s not looking good. They setup a gofundme page to help with medical expenses. The outpouring of love and support is so encouraging. With everything happening around the world, it’s so refreshing to see kindness. We all could use some kindness.
OTHER: Amanda Palmer Retweeted Me
image
I work as an editorial assistant for Inconnu Magazine. The staff wrote a roundup article of their favorite books this year. I chose How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran and The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. I tweeted the article at both of them and Amanda retweeted it : D
READ: Mary Poppins Quits
image
The hairpin posted about this funny or die video a few years ago. I somehow missed it. It’s the best. Kristen Bell plays Mary Poppins and quits her job because earning minimum wage is not enough to live on. If your upset/worried about finances, this is a good pick me up.
READ: The Comment Section for Every Article Ever Written About Food Allergies
 I was tickled by this article in the hairpin. I have food allergies and read tons of articles about it. Yes, every comment section really is like this.
READ: Pay Women the Money They Need to Make the Culture
image
We’ve all heard the stories and read the statistics that women are underrepresented in the arts.  This article gives a bunch of current examples from Jessica Jones to Claire Boucher. The author, Rachel Syme touches on an important point - credit. Even when women are making the art and affecting the culture, if a man helps in any small capacity he usually receives the credit. Illustration by Amanda Lanzone.
WATCHED: Community: Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas
I've been learning of the wonder that is Community. It is absurd but has so much heart. In season 2 there was stop motion animation episode that took the absurdity but also the heart to a whole new level. I had all the feels. It really put me in the holiday spirit.
WATCHED: My Sister has ADHD
 Lucy Moon made a short film about ADHD. It’s simple but gorgeous. I got a window into a world that isn’t mine. It wasn’t a stereotype but a personal story.

No comments:

Post a Comment