Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Favorite Reads of 2015

In 2015, I read far fewer books than last year, but I also read more broadly. Two of the books listed below were mentioned in a reading wrap up on InconnuMag, where I work as an editorial assistant. There is a read more link for those two books. Amanda Palmer retweeted the InconnuMag article!
image
DARK SPARKLER by Amber Tamblyn
This is a book of poetry written by actress Amber Tamblyn (Sister of the Travelling Pants, Joan of Arcadia). I haven’t finished the book but so far it’s been heartbreaking. Heartbreaking for the women that died too soon but also for the women still here fighting the same battle. Each poem is about an actress who died too soon. The poems try to look beyond the veil, humanize them. The poem above is one of my favorites. It perfectly encapsulates the hypocrisy of working in entertainment.

GEORGE by Alex Gino
George is a middle grade book about a little boy named George who desperately wants everyone to realize that he is a girl. I loved the innocence the author captured in this book. It reminded me of being 10 years old and how monumental small moments were. How crushing it was when your friends stopped talking to you. Just like for George, it was jarring reading the different pronouns because I wasn’t used to it. The tagline for the book is perfect: Be Who You Are.

BECAUSE YOU’RE NOW BANGING A FRENCH GIRL by Nicolette Daskalakis
This was an independent book of poetry I found at a local bookshop. It was incredible. It deals with topics ranging from a first kiss, to bad one night stands, to hangovers, to growing up. All of the poems are quite short but really powerful. It reminded me of Ellen Hopkins because they are both able to say a lot with a few words.

TRACKS by Robyn Davidson
Tracks is a memoir chronicling Robyn Davidson’s 1,700 mile solo journey across the Australian outback in the 1970s. I found this book because of the 2013 film starring Mia Wasikowska. Especially when I was frustrated with something in my life, I’ve thought, ‘Why don’t I take a trip somewhere by myself. Just get away to clear my head.’ I loved that she actually did it. She walked to the Indian Ocean with 3 camels and a dog. This book reminded me how isolated the world used to be. You couldn’t take this trip in relative secrecy today.

HOW TO BE A WOMAN by Caitlin Moran
image
“Caitlin Moran is a feminist icon/journalist in England who wrote a very humorous tongue-and-cheek book where each chapter addresses taboo things that women struggle with, from menstruation to sexual fantasies...” READ MORE

THE ART OF ASKING by Amanda Palmer
image
“The Art of Asking is based on the TED talk that musician Amanda Palmer gave in 2013. In the book, she discusses the difficulty in asking for help because it means being vulnerable...” READ MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment