Thursday, February 4, 2016

It's Off to Work We Go

Happy February! Happy Black History Month! This newsletter mentions dismissive doctors, youtube and black history month and Mallory Ortberg. In case you missed it, I posted a January wrap up post earlier this week.
This article on femsplain really described me this week. The female author talks about how dismissive doctors can be, especially about period problems. I sent in a complaint about my Dr. and he emailed me super defensive and bewildered by my sudden rash showing of emotion. I tried called him multiple times before sending in the complaint but he never called me back. Then he accused me of overreacting. If you think something is wrong trust your gut. If you don’t like this Dr, try and find a new one if you can. You shouldn’t be talked down to when you’re coming to someone for help. You should never feel dismissed. 
Do good work and the money will follow may not apply anymore. I would add have good connections, be willing to hustle, have a backup plan (ie wealthy parents, a dowry...). Doing good work doesn’t equal earning a living. Doing good work doesn’t equal recognition. Doing good work means you did good work.
Last year Akilah Hughes called out Youtube for not promoting youtubers of color, especially during black history month. “I decided to count how often they promoted black talent with their 49-million-follower Twitter feed. Through the whole month, YouTube sent out 15 tweets promoting black creators...all but five of the promoted black creators were Grammy award-winning musicians. Basically just a handful of not-already-famous black people got a helping hand. In the same month, YouTube sent out 167 tweets promoting white creators, many with smaller, more niche followings.”
This is a super funny and honest speech by Mallory Ortberg about starting the feminist site The Toast. She uses real numbers and points out many of their mistakes when starting out. This is a longer video at 24 min but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment