Tuesday, October 21, 2014

#6: Give Something Away/Cleaning

*originally written March 2014

     I always lived in organized chaos. I was never dirty but kept things in unusual places. My jacket and shoes are always left in front of the door when I come home at the end of the day. Non perishable groceries sit under the kitchen table for weeks. When I moved into my current place I decided to try and be an organized minimalist. Everything has a place. Instead of buying more storage when my dressers were full, I'd get rid of some clothes.

     I've been cleaning out my house for the last week or so. Throwing away old electronics boxes, expired food. In the midst of this, I heard a quote "Clearing the clutter out of your space will clear some of the clutter in your mind." I spent one evening listening to an audiobook and tidying the living room. Afterwards I did feel better. It's amazing how much stuff one person can accumulate.

     While clearing the clutter I also did some cleaning. I always found the prospect of the cleaning the entire house at once exhausting. I usually would cycle through cleaning. For instance I'd vacuum the whole house one day, then clean the bathroom a few days later, then dust a few days after that. The result is a space that is never spotless but also never filthy. I cleaned the entire bathroom and kitchen in the same day.

*I wrote this post last night. It is now the next day. It's really nice coming home to a clean house after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment